A few days ago, as I was getting ready to walk out the door to go to work, I hear my daughter's voice calling from her room. "Mom! Can you come here for a minute?" I'm thinking..."What could be so important that you can't come out of your room?" So I put down my coffee, car keys, lunchbox and huge bag that I carry back and forth to school every day and head for the back of the house. She cracks her door. "What's wrong?" I ask. She's crying....and then I see her hair...bangs choppy and askew. "I tried to trim my bangs and I didn't think I was getting them too short but LOOK AT THEM!!!" she wailed. This is where my supermom powers kick in. She's lucky she caught me before I left. Since I started teaching in the neighboring district, I have to leave the house earlier than anyone else. Dad is now in charge of getting them to school. It should be easy, since he goes there anyway (he teaches math at the high school). But according to Parker, he's the one who has to keep an eye on the clock and yell at Dad when it's time to go. Anyway...a few more seconds and Hillary would have had to either figure this out on her own or follow her Dad's suggestion to wear a doo-rag wrapped around her head. Thinking fast I pulled down more hair and trimmed it to give her a little more bang with a little less chop. It wasn't perfect, but she thought it was great. One catastrophe out of the way, and it's not even 7:20.
Now that Hillary is older, there is so much she doesn't need me for. It's nice to know that I can still solve a crisis for her now and then. If only they were all that easy.
1 comment:
I remember my mom trimming my hair out in the garden, where I carried the scissors to her for the job.
sandy
Post a Comment