Our Family

Our Family

Friday, March 7, 2008

About a boy


How much longer will my lamp be a landing strip for toy airplanes? When will he no longer think it's fun to sit beside me as I read aloud from a book about dragons? Last night, as he lay beside me on the couch, he said, "You're one of my favorite people." How many more years before his affection and admiration are turned to a pretty, young girl.

I already feel the rumblings...

Lately, no matter how much he eats we can't seem to fill him up. He wants to stay up later and sleep in longer. His arms wrap all the way around me with room to spare, and he looks me eye to eye.

Yet, as his body changes, his spirit stays the same. Sweet, affectionate, introspective, determined. The man will eventually overtake the boy...but that's okay. He's not leaving the good stuff behind, he's just growing into his heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAN! I need you to put all this stuff into a book, and send it and me back in time, to when I was raising you and your siblings. I could have used your insight! What you say is so true! Growing into his heart. WOW! MOM

Anonymous said...

Fonda
You will be blessed, and he will become the affectionate man that you & Yancey raised. I raised a couple of pretty affectionate guys-I just wish I would have took the time and had the insight that you have. Keep Enjoying
Sheila