This was to be a week alone for me. Hillary was off to Girls State, and Yancey and Parker went to church camp. And, as they love me dearly, they were a little concerned. It seemed to dawn on Hillary the day before she left that I would be at home all day, every day for a week, all by myself. She looked at me with wide eyes and said in a breathy voice..."What will you DO?"
My answer..."Whatever I want!"
But she was still worried. "Sounds lonely to me," she said.
Never fear, I had plans.
My dreams were filled with lazy days in the hammock, cold drink and a good book in hand...no worries hanging over my head with the laundry caught up and the house cleaned.
And then I woke up.
Here are a few of the things I actually did this week:
Handled small crisis with daughter via text in middle of the night.
Handled small crisis with husband via text in the middle of the night.
Called bug people to come spray house for spiders who suddenly seemed to be everywhere.
Drove un-air conditioned car an hour away to the city for repair...waited for the shop to give me the loaner car which they had somehow misplaced...sat in Enterprise Rent-a-car lobby for an hour while they tried to find a car for me...(this all counts as one thing, right?).
Got my hair cut and colored.
Cleaned two bathrooms, one kitchen cabinet, and one closet.
Untangled a mistake with my employer and bank when (through no fault of my own) my paycheck was accidentally withdrawn from my account instead of deposited making me appear overdrawn.
Drove back to the city, picked up my own car, and flew back in time for bible study.
Cleaned up dog poop 3 different times.
Oh, and in the meantime, I managed to host a parenting group at my house, read one good book, and have lunch with a friend.
Don't worry, Hillary. There was no time to be lonely.
My family starts to trickle home today. I am looking forward to seeing them. As busy as I was having FUN, I still missed them.
After all, alone time is overrated!
3 comments:
Alone time may be over-rated, but we all need a little of it. Besides, we're not nearly as boring as our children think we are! Doing what I want, without interuption is nice once in a while. MOM
There are days when I long for some alone time! And then when I do get it, I realize, you know what, I really do miss all that surface noise! And around our house, that surface noise sometimes exceeds decibel levels that are humanly tolerable! Oh, and also the bottom bread squeeze hugs and the sloppy kisses!
Ronda Altis
you have got to start your book! that's what your free time is for...love your writing. Thanks for sharing your Brawny husband with the Scrawny youth pastor last week!
Post a Comment