Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Empty beach...full heart

My sister and I arrived at the beach early this morning. We wanted to beat the heat, and the tourists. No matter how many times I've seen it, the ocean never disappoints. The blues and greens..the crashing white foamed waves...the soft wind and the deceptively friendly sun. As I walked along the edge, looking for shells for Cassie, I noticed a small boy and his mom building a sand castle. I smiled, remembering the castles I've built (or watched be built) with my kids. Being here without them has been different. Every time I see a dolphin I want to turn and say, "Look, kids!" When we ride in the boat with Stewie (the dachshund) standing guard with his long chocolate ears flapping in the wind, I want to laugh with them. But they are living their own life back home. Marching in the Fair Parade, going out with friends, and visiting grandparents. And I will see them in a few days.
So I sit here on the beach. It's empty except for an old man with a metal detector, and a mother and child building a small city. And I smile and thank God for all the memories I've been allowed to collect over the years. Each one as beautiful and as different as the shells Cassie is picking up. And my heart is full.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our memories are just one way I think God shows His love to us. This memaw has a lot of good memories with all of you at the beach, and is thankful today for the time with your children-Hillary & Parker are getting in some serious "pool time" and Yancey & his Dad are working on the car after a brisk 4 mile walk and a breakfast of pancakes. We love and MISS you.
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I love the breeze off the ocean. I've never felt anything so soothing. I'm glad you are enjoying it, and that you have good memories with all your family. MOM

amy said...

Did you ask the small boy any questions? I wonder if he would have had any nuts for you :)
(and you say i entertain you- haha)

-amy