Hillary did a great job playing a gun-toting southern belle in "Murder is in the Heir" last weekend. Several faithful family members joined my husband and I as we squeezed into the crowded high school commons for the dinner theatre. We were greeted by the cast members in full costume and character. Hillary aka Paula Thompson fluttered her eyelashes and looked up through her floppy hat as she welcomed us to the "mansion" in sweet southern drawl through ruby red lips. She never once dropped her accent or the essence of her character. The play began and our first course arrived. We got to know the characters and their motive for murder as we munched our beef brisket. Then it was time to vote. This was an "audience participation" performance. It was up to us to decide who the guilty guy or girl would be. Parker slyly suggested to me that we could cheat by taking the extra papers on the table and marking them all for "Paula". But we let fate take it's course. And in the end, it was Hillary holding the gun!
She later told me that another student had actually had the most votes, but he didn't know all of the lines for that ending. So it fell to Hillary to carry the crime. This doesn't surprise me at all. From the time Hillary was two years old, she's been in every form of drama production she could manage to get a part in. And she always knew her lines AND everyone else's. I remember her at 8 years old pantomining and prompting kids several years older who couldn't remember what it was they were supposed to say. She's the actor/director all rolled into one!
The play ended with Hillary being handcuffed and wrestled off stage to cheers and claps from the crowd. Then they were bowing, and people were coming up to tell me how good she was. And all I could say was "Thank you" when I wanted to shout "I know, right!"
But that would be a little dramatic.
We'll just leave the drama to Hillary for now.
1 comment:
Well, she can sure carry the show! I love her enthusiasm. MIMI
Post a Comment