All kinds of music.
If I want to go on an adventure, all I have to do is pull up itunes and put it on "shuffle". Soon I'm belting out showtunes, or rapping with Eminem, or caught up in a trumpet solo, or soothing my soul with jazz, or nodding my head to folksy whimsical songs about how good life is, or swaying to a black gospel choir, or even banging my head to some classic rock. And there is always something new in the mix. Much to Hubby's dismay, (he thinks we waste too much money on music) we keep the itunes store in business by downloading songs I heard on a commercial or songs Parker found on youtube or songs by some new rockin group Hillary learned about from a college friend. Even the neighbor kid gets in on the action. He doesn't have internet at his house, so he uses our itunes account to download songs to his ipod and leaves a crumpled wad of cash by my keyboard to cover his cost.
We also burn cd's with abandon, littering the car, the kitchen counter, and the computer desk with silver discs hand-marked with things like "mom 2" and "cheer up" and "parker hip hop". (More "waste" according to Hubby...who keeps his 5 country cds safe in his truck and never EVER sings along with the radio.)
I love the wild diversity our music choices showcase. It's like a reflection of our souls. And it proves to me that I managed to make at least ONE of my parenting goals happen... to produce happy people who enjoy life in many ways and aren't afraid to try new things...souls who appreciate the complexity of creativity.
I love that Parker listens to Sinatra and Black Eyed Peas and Debussy all in the same day.
I love that Hillary thinks Barbara Streisand belting "Don't Rain on My Parade" is as cool as the alternative band that's so new and unknown it's not even ON itunes yet.
I love that Parker looks up the guitar chords so he can play "Simple Man."
And I love that Hillary writes quirky songs for her band, Kitchen Fire, as well as worship songs for no one but her and God.
Cause life can be funny and angry and confusing and sweet. It can be fast-paced or roll over you in soft waves. And whatever it is...I'm just glad there's a song to go with it.
1 comment:
Love this Fonda! Thanks for yet another great post!
Post a Comment