Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Life Stories

"Mom, what time was I born?"
It was Hillary's birthday, and she wanted to know if she'd passed the actual hour and minute of her birth already.  I had to stop and think.  It's been 20 years.  I remember the scent of her baby head.  The weight of her as they lay her on my arm for just a moment before whisking her away from me.  But the "time of birth"?  I wasn't sure.
And then I realized that I had it written down.
I had started a journal for Hillary while she was still in the womb.  I wanted her to know what I was thinking and how I was feeling as I prepared for her.  I wanted her to have her own life story.  And I would record it for her until she was old enough to write it herself.
I dug through the closet and found the pink journal with yellowed pages.  There it was...the whole story of her birth.

I smiled and kept reading.
The language was stilted and unfamiliar as I tried to describe to this new little human...a stranger to me...the events happening around her, the family members who loved her, her favorite toy, her first steps, her quirky habits.  I think I was trying to convince her (and myself) that we were all going to be okay.

The years passed and I continued writing in her journal, and started one for Parker as soon as we knew he was coming.
And then I started this blog and continued recording their lives, including pictures and music.
And I'm SO glad I did.
I look back through these journals and blog entries and I smile at the sweet things I've forgotten.  Stories are important.  And I won't be here forever, but these stories can be.
I read a quote from a book today, "Are you living a life worth telling stories about?"
Our answer is YES!
What's yours?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very much worth it! Remember when Hillary would tuck her shirt into her pants? Every time? She did that for a long time and no matter what kind of shirt or pants. She would even tuck in a sweat shirt! MIMI