Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Web

I used to think parenting was all about me.  It was my job, my calling, and if I didn't execute every detail of every day correctly my children would be forever scarred and the world would be a dark place.
Thank God I got over that!
Our family is not a wheel with me as the hub...all spokes  by necessity connecting to me.
It's more like a web...all of us connected to all of us simultaneously.
Parker would never learn this if it had to come through me.

There are some things only my Man can teach him.
And then again, when the time came for Parker to shave for the first time (I guess he got tired of his sister calling him "The 'Stache") it was me he elbowed to follow him to the bathroom.  I didn't do anything but stand there and supervise, but he seemed to be happy with that.
So it's not an exact science, this parenting thing.

Even siblings sometimes do it.  Hillary was asking me just last night what I thought about a certain situation involving Parker and some of his friends.  He hadn't even told me about it.  I could let my feelings be hurt and worry that I should be more "in control" of the details of his social life...OR I could be happy he has a sister to confide things in.  A girl who loves him as much as she gets annoyed with him.  And that's a lot!  A girl who has learned some of her own lessons the hard way and is willing to share her wisdom.

This web we've woven is strong, but flexible.  And when one strand gets tugged, we all feel it in some way.
And it doesn't stop with us.  My children have grandparents, aunts and uncles, and family friends who are part of our intricate pattern.  It makes our web larger and stronger.  Kind of like a safety net.
So instead of worrying, we can have fun...


which adds beauty to our web.
from Charlotte's Web
Charlotte's Daughters: "Oh!  That would take us a lifetime!"
Wilbur: "A liftetime.  That's what we have."

No comments: