Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Mirror mirror

It started innocently enough.
In an effort to cheer me up, Hubby picked up a pen and wrote a note on my bathroom mirror.
"You are so sexy to me."
I found it as I was getting ready for summer school, and it made me smile.
Since it worked so well, he kept adding things every few days, until eventually my mirror was covered with words. As I brushed my teeth every day my eyes searched the phrases until I found what was new. "thanks for being so caring." "I love to see you smile." "I like that you have shown me new hobbies." It became a game between us. And I couldn't bear to wash the mirror.
And so, as various company came and went this summer, people noticed.
And they decided to play along.
My dad added a note to Hubbys side of the mirror..."thanks for loving my daughter. Keep it up and I wont have to beat you up!"
We laughed.
And then cancer rudely butted its way into our family. And there hasnt seemed to be much to laugh about lately.
Until I went in the bathroom just now and saw another addition to my mirror. My brother in law had written "I love you for having a sister as sweet as Cassie (his wife)."
It struck me funny! And I laughed.
I laughed because he signed it with his initials. I laughed because it was unexpected. I laughed because these silly things are what make up Real Life.
I love that I am part of a family that allows everyone to help write our story. I literally look at myself through their words every day. And whether we are together or apart, healthy or sick, happy or sad, we are connected by love. That is what keeps the story alive as we hand it down to our children and their children.
And thats enough "reflection" for now :)

No comments: