We spent Easter Sunday visiting our families Back Home. The four of us, converging from two locations, had suitcases and stuff spread from one side of town to the other. Sunday morning before church, Hillary decided she wanted to wear the new dress her Memaw had just given her from Avon. But alas, she had no accessories. What's a Fashionista to do?
"Hmmm..." she says looking in the mirror. "I only brought flat boots and that won't look right with this dress. If only I had some red heels."
I sighed and knew this was my cue.. "I brought red heels to wear with my pants," I offered. "You can have them."
"Sweet!" she sang. "Now I need a belt."
She rummaged through my own mother's closet, but found nothing to her liking.
"How about a scarf?" my sister suggested helpfully.
She came out with a couple, but Christmas Pentecostal Preacher's Wife wasn't really her style.
Back in she dove.
And out she came with one of my dad's ties. "This is perfect!" she cried.
And with a little pinning and creativity she pulled it all together.
"I wish I had some earrings..." she said glancing slyly my way.
Good thing I brought two pair.
She donned my dangly black earrings and...
Voila!
"Thanks for sacrificing your stuff for me, Mom" she said as she gave me a huge hug. "What's one more sacrifice after 21 years?" I joked.
She was off to join the worship team and there was nothing for me to do but take my barefoot self to MY mom's closet and borrow a pair of HER shoes.
That's the thing about family. Between all of us and our pieces, you can always somehow get what you need. So, like Hillary I say, "Thanks Mom and Dad...for giving me shoes to stand in and a tie that binds."

No comments:
Post a Comment