Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Senior Moments

It's 6:45 a.m.
My phone buzzes.
"Come down here and tell me if this looks good."

I smile..
It's the first day of Senior Year for Parker and I'm not sure who is more nervous, me or him!  Summer was a fast-moving river with lots of debris and now here we stand on the shores of the Last First Day.  We hadn't really talked about it much, and it seemed like no big deal.
Until the night before.
In true Parker fashion, he decided at the last minute that he needed to go school clothes shopping.  He thought, if I didn't have anything to do, I could run him to JC Penney (which is our ONLY option out here in the boondocks) to get a few new shirts.
I'm pretty sure he thinks I NEVER have anything to do....besides anticipate his last minute needs.
Anyway, I had Open House for my first graders, so I sent Hubby with him.
They came home with smiles on their faces, stories about their search, and three sharp-looking shirts for the price of one.  Parker disappeared into his room to try on every shirt with various pants...sleeves rolled up...sleeves rolled down...this pair of Adidas or that one.

And now it was morning, and he still hadn't narrowed it down.
I headed down the stairs.
I jokingly quipped as I entered his room.. "I'll tell you what looks good if you'll tell me."
I was wearing khakis and a silky top.  And flip flops.
He looked me over and said, "Lose the flip flops."
I blinked (his honesty is valuable, but abrupt sometimes) and ran upstairs to change shoes.
I came back in a pair of tan slip on dress shoes.
"God, no!  I HATE those shoes!"
Back up and down the stairs.
Black puma tennis shoes?  I was almost afraid to ask.
He glanced at me and pronounced.  "Yep.  That's better."
Having had my morning Stair Workout, we could finally turn our attention to HIS clothes which was supposedly the reason I was there...
Three changes later, he was finally happy with his ensemble, and we did the whole "stand on the front porch with your backpack and pose" first-day-of-school pics.
He looked good!
And apparently, so did I ;)
Whatever will I do when he's gone?  Who will keep me from shame when I have a Senior Moment and start to think flip flops go with khakis?
For now, I will just enjoy my handsome son posing on the porch and enjoy HIS Senior Moments.

No comments: