Last weekend we traveled to a family reunion. And, in a way, it was a mini-family reunion for us and our kids as well. Not only did Hillary and Parker go with us, but they brought along their boyfriend and girlfriend. I borrowed my dad's minivan and we packed it full of people and pillows, bags and boxes. We drove into the sunrise with high spirits and McDonald's breakfasts. We played the "cd game" where we took turns picking numbers (one for a cd, and the other for the track on that cd). It was fun. For a while.
Thirteen hours later, (after more food, a wedding, more food, visiting, and more food) we finally made it to the place we were staying. I did what I always do...I made coffee.
My children are not coffee drinkers, so I only made a few cups. I came down the stairs with my steamy mug and Parker's girlfriend said, "You made coffee?"
"Yep" I replied.
"Oooh..I want some!"
"Me too!" piped Hillary's boyfriend.
And that was the moment I knew...
My children had picked well.
Throughout the years I have been careful to not give my opinion away when it comes to my children's "significant others". I learned early that the quickest way to get them to ditch a good one or hold on to a bad one was for a Parental Figure to voice a comment. Besides, I am not the one who needs to like the person. As long as my child likes them and they treat my babies well, I will be happy.
But drinking coffee is a definite plus.
Fortunately, both my children are currently in relationships with people who blend well with the family, have personality, seem to like my kids back, and are good looking to boot! They seem to be just my kids' cup of tea.
And my cup of coffee.
1 comment:
I agree with that!
Post a Comment