Our Family
Sunday, January 27, 2008
Creating a memoy
My family and I spent last night watching a movie together. About halfway through, I went to the kitchen to get some popcorn. As I came back into the family room, Parker pointed at me, smiled, and said, "There's the popcorn!" He's always been a detail noticer, and a lover of routines, so I guess he's paid attention as I carry out my almost nightly ritual of eating popcorn right before bed. The other night, when I told him it was time for bed he complained, "But you haven't even had your popcorn yet!" It occurs to me suddenly that I've created a "smell" memory for him. We all have smells that transport us back to a certain place or time. The way the smell of a certain brand of lotion always makes me think of my mom, and Aramis cologne is my dad, and Downy from the blue bottle with the pink lid takes me back home. Some day, a long time from now, maybe Parker will smell popcorn popping and smile, and tell his kids (or grandkids!) stories about his childhood...and his popcorn eating mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I have many smell memories. In the same way when Jon and I are getting to the end of our perfume/cologne we always want to change, however, the other makes plea to stick with the same smell. It just wouldn't be the same. It was even weird when he couldn't find his kind of deoderant and he had to get a new scent for the pits. :-)
The smell of Juicy Fruit Gum carries me back to church with my Granny McCoy. She had a big leather purse, and carried Juicy Fruit Gum in it, it always smelled like the gum. She let me chew that gum in church. Now I can't chew it because it sticks to the metal on my partials. So at night, when I have taken out my teeth, I sit and smack a peice of Juicy Fruit Gum and remember my good old Granny, and her church. This is one of MIMI'S SECRET PLEASURES! MOM
Post a Comment