Our Family

Our Family

Friday, January 11, 2008

What kind of man???

I have always tried to instill a high level of self-confidence and self-esteem in my children. And I guess it's working. Neither of them seem to have any self-doubt whatsoever. Hillary preens in front of the mirror and takes zillions of pictures of herself in various poses and posts them all over her room and on her web page. She tells me all about each new poem or play she writes and how good it is. Parker believes he is the fastest, strongest, kid he knows. He confidently wears bold, non-conformative clothes and shoes, and stubbornly supports the New York Yankees when we live in Cardinals territory. Last night, he was working on a homework assignment - write an autobiography. He had a list of questions he was supposed to answer. "Where were you born?" Cape Girardeau. "Describe your looks." Average with brown hair, brown eyes, and a city clean hair-cut. (whatever that means) But the one that made me chuckle was "Describe your personality." His answer was I'm a loving kind of man.
He is very affectionate and can be uncannily sensitive to others' feelings. Maybe he's born with it...Maybe its his dad's example. My husband is impulsive, forgetful, and way too open with strangers sometimes, but he loves me...and it shows. He never hesitates to show me affection in front of the kids. He supports any new effort I undertake. He tells me I'm beautiful, and takes me on dates. When I'm stressed, he makes sure the kids are being responsible and doing their part with the housework. He is an example to our daughter of how a good man treats the woman he loves, and an example to our son of how to be strong and gentle at the same time. I can't think of anyone I'd be prouder for Parker to end up like. My husband...the original "loving kind of man."

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I hope your son continues to display the same wonderful characteristics as you husband. Although, kids do tend to develop their own personality as the grow older. You know, couch potatoe, slug, lazy, "I don't clean" etc. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!