Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Making the cut


My men reached a new milestone this week. Yancey taught Parker how to mow. They were both excited about it. My husband took it very seriously...giving Parker a thourough tutorial before ever starting the mower. He pointed out each button and lever (even the ones Parker was never supposed to use), explained step-by-step how to start, run, pause, raise blades, lower blades, stop, and dismount the mower. Then, on went the protective earphones and safety glasses...and off went Parker.


He was extremely conscientious...making wide, slow circles around and around our house...stopping, raising the blade, putting on the emergency brake, and carefully climbing off the mower every time he saw a scrap of trash or large stick. He placed it in the bucket my husband has roped and duct taped to the back of the mower, then climbed back on, released the brake, lowered the blades and continued to the next obstacle.

Apparently, my husband was impressed. All evening he kept telling me how well Parker did. He even called his dad to brag. And while I was proud of Parker too (as evidenced by the way I kept following him around the yard taking pictures) I think I was even prouder of my husband. He did so great showing Parker what to do. He explained things patiently and didn't point out the three sprigs of grass Parker accidentally missed. He weed-eated while Parker mowed instead of sitting in the lawn chair never taking his eyes off his beloved mower. I guess he's learned some things since he taught Hillary to mow three years ago. (Sorry, Hillary....hazard of being first born). So now my son is a champion mower, and my husband is a champion father. In my eyes...they both make the cut!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my eyes, too. Yancey is an excellent instructor, and Parker is in his element with this hands-on stuff. He comes from two ancestries of 'good yard men'. Both sides of the family. I'm proud of you all. MIMI