Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Help Wanted...or not

Hillary is looking for a job. It will be her first "real" job. Just for the summer. She has done a little babysitting, but nothing that has required her to fill out applications. Last week she went around to all the banks in town and asked for apps, then brought them home to fill out. I tried to stay out of it (you know, let her do it on her own) but she kept asking questions like "What's my social security number?" So I ended up sitting down with her. By the fourth one, she kind of had the hang of it.
It's been a week, and we've heard nothing, so we decided to broaden our horizons. (We're leaving fast food til last) I remembered that we have a daycare center, and thought that would be perfect for her. No late nights or weekends, and she's great with kids. She agreed but seemed reluctant to go talk to them. She put it off as long as she could..."I need to take a shower and get ready. I need to eat. Oh, right now? I should go now?" I handed her the car keys.
I wanted to go with her. I wanted to hold her hand, march her in there and say, "My daughter is great and you would be lucky to have her! Hire her now before someone else snatches her up!"
But I didn't.
She will have to know how to do this someday, and she needs to be able to practice while she's still in the security of my nest. So I just waved as she backed out of the driveway...and kept my cell phone in my hand just in case she needed me. And she did...but only for one phone number for a reference. She did great. Just like I knew she would. And without any 'help' from me.
For Sale: Mother who is no longer needed. Slightly used, but in good condition. Must see to appreciate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Fonda
You will Always be needed, to wipe her tears, hold her hand, and laugh with her, and give her advice only her mother could give her.
Love you LOTS-Sheila

Anonymous said...

Fonda---Sheila is right. Hillary WILL always need you for something. And, so will Parker. So you can rest assured that whatever that 'something' is, they know that mom will always be there.I am glad our kids won't ever completely outgrown us. So---now you can take down your "FOR SALE" sign. Love ya-Brenda

Anonymous said...

I've seen you and I already appreciate you. But the trouble is, I can't pay what you're worth! MOM