Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Exploding Eggs (and other things)

My husband and I went to town the other day. Parker didn't want to go, so we let him stay home alone. As we were walking out the door, Yancy said, "Parker, I'm putting these eggs on to boil so I can have egg in my salad when we get back. Watch them and don't let them boil dry." My overprotective motherness wanted to step in...no children playing with the stove while adults are gone...but I am trying to let Parker grow up, so I let it go. Sure thing, Daddy-O!
A few minutes later, I got a call on my cell phone. Parker, in his normal I-never-get-excited voice said, "Mom..." "What is it? What's wrong?" "Well...the eggs are exploding." I tried to stay rational. I mean, we hadn't even been gone that long. I figured the eggs had just overcooked and cracked open, letting some of the yolk out into the water.
"Is anything on fire?"
"no"
"Are you hurt?"
"no"
"Did you turn the burner off?"
"no"
"Well, turn the burner off and just leave it all alone. We're on our way home. We'll be there in just a few minutes."
We walked into a very stinky kitchen. The pan was dry and black...and pieces of egg were EVERYWHERE. They were stuck to the cabinets, on the sink...even across the dining area over by the patio door. Who knew eggs could do that?
I rushed to Parker and inspected him for injuries (there were none) and started asking obvious questions like "What happened?" Apparently, he went to watch TV and forgot all about the eggs till he heard them blowing up. Then, he wasn't sure what to do and was too scared to try to move the pan or turn off the burner...so he just crouched and waited for them all to finish exploding, then found the cell phone and called us. He was a little shaken up. Give the boy a sack of dynomite disguised as fireworks and a watermelon and he'll happily blow things up all day. But let an egg explode and he just can't take it.
By the way...if anyone would like to nominate us for parents of the year, just go to www.explodingeggs.com. (just kidding)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time that Aunt Sissy's twin toddler boys put an unopened can of corn in her oven. She didn't know it was there when she heated the oven to make a cake. That can exploded like a bomb, blowing the oven door open and spraying corn all over the kitchen. MOM

Anonymous said...

Was you husband named after anyone... what a weird name... Yancey???

Anonymous said...

This is a good one Fonda. Reminds me of when I ask Abbi to put the roast in the crock pot. I left complete instructions except for the one necessary step. I forgot to say turn it on. When we got home that night, there was everything still raw. Kids can sure be fun. Love ya Teresa