Our Family

Our Family

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tin Roof Tuesday



It's raining today.



Which means we get to enjoy the nice new back porch my husband helped build last week. Occasionally he gets wild ideas in his head (OK often he gets wild ideas in his head), but they usually don't actually happen. At least not until I crunch the numbers and make a detailed pro/con list, then fret and worry for a while, then ask 15 people's opionion. But this porch idea made it's way out of my husband's mouth during a conversation with our neighbor (who works in construction). And before I knew it, they'd gone and bought the materials, hammered and sawed, measured and worked...and finished the whole thing in one day. It was my husband's idea to roof it with tin. He said he loves to hear the rain on a tin roof.




So now we sit...side by side...quietly...watching the raindrops fall and listening to the soft pings of each one as it hits the roof.
Romantic, huh...


Now for the rest of the story...


I wanted to capture the feeling for you, but I wasn't getting what I wanted by shooting from the deck. I considered climbing out on the roof, but Hillary suggested that I could get the same thing by sticking my head out the window. I think it worried her boyfriend a little...as I was taking the screen off in order to hang futher out, he said, "You're not going out there are you?" I assured him I wasn't...and only then did he continue downstairs with Hillary to watch Batman.


My husband found me several minutes later, sitting on the floor behind the couch, camera held out the window, taking one shot then experimenting with my settings, then taking another shot. And as usual when I'm being crazy and unpredictable...

he just smiled.

Now that's romantic!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so sweet and I am so jealous! Chance & I both love listening to rain on a tin roof! It's days like today that I really miss him. We love you guys and can't wait to see you! Abby

Henley Family said...

Fonda - I am a friend of Angie's and love reading your blog. You have a true gift of being able to write and stir emotions in people. Today when I read about your tin roof it brought a flood of memories back - - my grandparents had a lake cabin that the huge screened in porch had a tin roof and we loved to sleep out there when we were kids - no greater treat than to hear the rain pinging off the tin! Second - I spent a summer in Papua New Guinea and where we slept had screen walls and a tin roof - -nothing will scare you in the middle of the night like a coconut falling off the tree and banging on the tin roof! Thanks for sharing, Nancy Henley

Anonymous said...

I grew up under a tin roof. Nothing like a good poring thunder storm under a tin roof.
You're husband had a great idea this time. MOM

Ang said...

Congrats to Yancy on a new project! I will have to make a trip over to check it out. Oh and I am glad you didn't fall out the window.