Our Family

Our Family

Monday, February 9, 2009

Rain Man

I slogged through the drizzle, my umbrella doing absolutely no good, and delivered first graders to their cars. All I wanted to do was go home, get dry, and sit on the couch sipping coffee. But instead I had to pick Parker up from school, stop by the grocery store, return some DVDs, cook supper, and deliver supper (Yancy and Hillary were going to the basketball game so I had to take their vittles to the school). Uggh...I HATE rain.
I pulled up to the middle school, and Parker came loping out. He had a HUGE smile on his face. He threw his oversized bag into the back seat, plopped his rear into the front seat, and said, "I LOVE rain!" I just rolled my eyes and asked him how his day had gone.
After several stops and in-and-out errands in the mist, we finally pulled into our own driveway. I turned to him and said, "Since you like the rain so much, how bout getting the mail for me."
"Sure" he said with a smile.
He got out and I pulled on down to the garage, got out of the car, went in the house, and got the bacon out of the fridge. Still no Parker. Our driveway is not that long. I looked out the door. He was walking as slowly as humanly possible, letting the mist hit his face and make diamonds in his curly hair. He didn't seem to care that my junk mail was getting damp and spotted. He was just enjoying the moment and making it last.
I swear I felt the sun shining on me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can tolerate (and even enjoy) the rain much more than ice with snow on top of it! There are lots of things I like about rain, too. The sound of it on a tin roof, watching it fall from the safety of the porch, the smell of rain on freshly plowed ground, and walking under a big unbrella in the rain. But I don't like it to make me wet!
Parker is a ray of sunshine for the soul, isn't he? MOM/MIMI

Anonymous said...

Hunter is a rain man too! He loves it. Interesting...I think they are both incredible young men.