Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Farewell, My Lady

When we were blessed to get a house in the country, my husband and I decided it was finally time to let the kids get a dog. We saw an ad in the paper for a puppy from Shelter Pals who needed a home. We went to see the dog, and she immediately stole our hearts. Lady became part of our family.
For the last 5 years she has greeted us with a leaf in her mouth when we pull in the driveway. She lay under our feet as we sat in the porch swing, burying our toes in her soft fur.
She protected our yard (and the neighbor's too!).
She made us laugh...and cry.
And now, due to a series of events beyond our control, she's no longer with us. But she will always remain in our hearts.

4 comments:

bartlebunch said...

Oooohhhh.... I'm teared up!

Anonymous said...

My heart is so heavy-but I know it was for the best-just doesn't make it easier.
Love to you all-Sheila/Mom/Memaw

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, too. I will miss her when I come to your house. She was a good dog. MIMI

Anonymous said...

Oh, Fonda, I am so sorry. I can empathize with you. I once had a dog,(just an old hound dog)that we got at about six weeks, and, we had him for about 8 years. We lived in the country and one night an old cat came up and the two of them (dog and cat) had an encounter and my dog got a big scratch on the nose. We didn't think much of it at the time, but, a few days later we realized that my Skipper had rabies!!! Of course we had to put him down as well. Broke my heart in two. It still brings tears to my eyes. You're right, Lady will always be in your heart. Well, sorry this is so long--just wanted to share. Love ya Brenda