Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Boyfriends and Girlfriends

We were privileged to be invited to a fall family gathering at some friends' house last night. Hillary had her own (awesome) plans...an unexpected chance to go see Phantom of the Opera at the Fox, so it was just the three of us (Hubby, Son, and I). Feeling like we needed a little spice in our marriage, I suggested that Hubby and I be "boyfriend and girlfriend" for the evening. He agreed. Parker just sat looking bored out the window. So I asked him, "Parker, what should Dad do if he's going to be my boyfriend?"
Parker gave me that "Why are you asking me this" look and shrugged.
I pressed.
"Come on...what does a boyfriend do?"
"Well," he sighed, "be friendly to you?"
That's always a good start.
"What else?"
"And bring you stuff."
Ok, be friendly to me and bring me stuff. Sounds kind of like the dog we used to have. But I can live with that.
We enjoyed our evening of music, conversation, laughter, food, and bonfire and my husband and I realized we are a little out of practice at being boyfriend and girlfriend. But it was fun to try.


No comments: