Our Family

Our Family

Monday, October 5, 2009

Radio Waves and World Wide Webs

I have a new favorite thing.
Actually its a very old thing with a modern twist.
Remember how the Walton's used to gather around their radio and listen to a ball game or radio show while grandma knitted and Pa puffed on a pipe? And the kids all scattered around the room listening? Well, just call us the Waltons!
I don't know how to knit, and I would never allow pipe smoke in my family room, but we enjoyed all the rest of it just last night. On our way home, I was enjoying a talk radio show on NPR. But, alas, we don't have a radio strong enough to pick up the signal from St Louis in the house. So I jumped on the internet and "listened live".
Parker lay next to me on the couch, letting me rub his head, while Hillary sat on the hearth and cleaned her tennis shoes with a bleach stick. I watched the flames flicker in the fire place and Yancy relaxed in his chair. We listened to a very entertaining, yet informative show that told stories about math (of all things) in such an interesting way that we sat in rapt attention. It was so peaceful. The worries of the world were pushed outside for a while. We were all in the same room at the same time...and even though we weren't talking, we felt connected. Unlike staring at a TV screen, we watched each other's faces as someone laughed or frowned to what they heard. In these days of crazy schedules it was nice to share an old pastime...by way of the latest technology.

No comments: