In the beginning, I worried about this very thing. I was so afraid my recurring struggles with anxiety and depression would scar my children, making them view emotions in some distorted way. I determined this would not happen. So through the years I've stopped hiding my tears and been honest about my hard times. Only by acknowledging and explaining it, can I verbalize to them that emotions are human and are nothing to be afraid of. And that they (my children) are not responsible for mine. It's not their job to make me happy, or bear my sadness.
So I let them see me reading my self-help books...writing scriptures on my arms...texting a friend...or playing a sermon on cd that speaks to my soul...going to a counseling appointment...or climbing into their father's lap like a little girl being comforted by his calm solidness. I want them to know there are things you can do to help yourself when you feel bad. And that just being there with someone in their sadness is many times...enough.
I let them cheer me with surprises, like a just-loaded dishwasher or a new framed photo. I let them hold onto me for long hugs. And then I let them go on with their life, knowing that they've offered comfort, but it's ok to leave me and do their own thing. I let them see me get over it, and be happy and silly...because those are emotions too.
And I hope this is enough.
4 comments:
Fonda
Your wisdom amazes me-I am so proud that you are a part of the circle that is my family. My grandchildren are going to be solid adults because of you & Yancey's love & guidance, and honesty.
Love-Sheila
It is enough... I believe that we have raised a generation of people who think that you can only be strong by not showing emotions. I think that you are doing an amazing job and can only hope that Abby takes more lessons from you as she raises Izzy. She really looks up to you. She says that you are a real person not some ideal that no one can reach. God bless you and can't wait to see you all this week end.
Teresa
You inspire me, as I watch your adult living. You are real, with a real faith in God. Doing what you can, and letting Him take care of the rest. And that is enough. It gives me hope for other struggling people. I admire you. MOM
Fonda your Blog always touches my heart in one way or another. You inspire me to be a better Mother,Wife,& Daughter..Your wisdom is like an overflowing cup!Thank you so much for sharing your stories with us. I really needed to read this today as I struggle with anxiety and depression myself and am sometimes embarassed of it..
Thanks for helping me to know that it's alright and in Gods hands everything will work out! Christina
Post a Comment