Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Kitchen Krazy

It was day 2 of being snowed in at home. I hadn't yet ventured out of the house, but that certainly didn't mean I was isolated or lonely. No...due to our family's fun reputation people bravely traveled over the river and through the woods to our house. Hillary and her new boyfriend trudged around in the backyard, bringing snow into the house on their tennis shoes and pant legs. Parker and his friend Hunter played Wii and loud music and some game which required lots of jumping and rough-housing and made me ponder the strength of the floor dividing the upstairs and down.
It was a good day.
Made even better when it was time to cook supper.
I love to cook. It occupies me and makes me happy. And satisfies my need to "nurture" my family. So I made Chicken Tortilla Cannelloni, and salad, and garlic bread and we gathered round the table and talked with our mouths full.
Then I started cleaning off the table and Parker put on a silly kids cd and we all laughed at his lip syncing to "I have orange pants...I wear them when I dance....but I don't get out that much...". Everyone joined the fun and we were singing and slinging dishes with little flourishes. Hillary and Josh were still sitting at the table with their backs to me. I was at the sink, scrubbing a pot, and feeling overwhelmed with joy I danced and shook my head and scrubbed in time to the music. I looked up and Josh was laughing so hard his head was down on the table. I hadn't realized he could see the whole show in the reflection of the glass patio door! Thank goodness I hadn't gone into my "popping" routine.
But much to Hillary's credit, she just laughed along and didn't seem the least embarrassed by my antics. Parker either. They just shake their heads and look at their friends as if to say, "Isn't she great?" What on earth am I doing wrong? I thought teenagers were supposed to be embarrassed by their mothers. Oh well, if they're going to play the music, I might as well dance along!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kid could be embarrassed by a mom who is so in tune with them. MIMI

Anonymous said...

Fonda, I fully agree with your mom. You have such an amazing and unique relationship with your kids. YOU are an amazing woman!!!

Terrill Story said...

What's the popping routine?