Nothing like a LONG car trip to remind us...
We had been packed in the car for hours. Eating snacks out of the cooler...adjusting and readjusting various body parts...listening to hours of audio books.
We had already worn ourselves out having fun. Visiting with my brother and his wife...playing in the ocean...watching movies...playing games.
And now we were BACK in the car.
With miles to go before we sleep.
And it began...
"Move your feet."
"No. You can lay over against the door."
"Move them...NOW."
"You put your head in my space ALL the way down here. My feet aren't hurting you."
Enter Mom...
I turned off the radio and patiently asked leading questions, trying to ascertain fairness and diplomatically bring a peaceful agreement to the back seat.
But I had barely turned back around when the argument resumed.
"Get. Your. Feet. DOWN."
"You have PLENTY of room."
I rolled my eyes and took a deep breath.
Fine. I would just let them fight it out. That's how they learn, right? They have to practice solving their own problems. I can't always intervene between the two of them.
Enter the Father...
"HILLARY PUT YOUR *^#@ FEET ON THE FLOOR! PARKER SIT UP! BOTH OF YOU SIT UP STRAIGHT AND LOOK FORWARD AND DONT SPEAK AGAIN UNTIL WE GET TO THE HOTEL!"
Silence.
And a uneventful if not peaceful ride ensued.
The next morning, over breakfast, I reminded the kids that, as almost-grown-ups they needed to use what they had been taught about treating others as they wanted to be treated. And then I used a bit of Father-style and bluntly said, "Parker - watch your tone. You can sound really hateful." and "Hillary - watch your tone. You can be really whiney."
And they nodded with understanding. And treated each other deferentially the rest of the way home.
And I sang quietly to myself..."It takes two to make a thing go right. It takes two to make it out of sight..."
1 comment:
God knew what he was doing when He put you two together. Mom is always supposed to be diplomatic and Dad is supposed to be a bit harsher to verify what Mom said.
Post a Comment