First day of freedom and I had plans.
Plans which did NOT involve recess duty or math manipulatives.
Plans which DID include shoe shopping and Starbucks.
I popped my head into Hillary's room to see if she wanted to come along.
She didn't even hesitate.
And an hour later we were on our way to the city. Me and my girl.
We ate pretzel dogs and perused racks of pastel ruffly things.
We tried on shoes.
We took turns coming out of dressing rooms, commenting on the cuteness of the other's couture.
We tried on more shoes.
I played with make-up in Sephora and she picked up every piece of jewelry in Charming Charlies.
We got Starbucks.
We tried on even more shoes.
And after buying belts and mascara and shoes and shirts we headed home.
We are good at this, she and I. After all, we've been practicing since she was 3 and I was a lonely young mother in a new city. In those days we would head to the mall for a big, decorated cookie...that being the only treat I could afford. And today, just like back then, she fell asleep as I drove us home...her music filling the car and her friendship filling my heart.
1 comment:
I was looking around for a "like" button!! :)
Post a Comment