Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Foreign

I have foreign toothpaste in my bathroom.

No, I didn't order it from the internet.  It was carried here in the suitcase of Hillary's best Swiss friend who is staying with us for a few weeks.  Swiss Miss is sweet and funny and beautiful.  And she is amazed at how many fat people ride around in motorized wheelchairs in America.
Hillary took her on a road trip to Chicago last week.  And despite the fears of some "mother hens" in the family, the girls made it without being mugged or murdered.  I was proud of the way Hillary took initiative and tried to plan ahead.  And of the way she went for it even as little fears nibbled at her toes.  (And I am thankful to Tony and Peter for hosting the girls and for all their advice!)


I share my heart and my home with my children.  And in return, they broaden my world.  I came home from bible study the other night to find my driveway full of unfamiliar cars.  And my basement full of friends.  Hillary and Swiss Miss were there along with a boy who had a pierced lip and a shy smile.  Parker and his friend, Hunter were downloading music from itunes, but stopped long enough to greet me with an exuberant hug that left my toes dangling inches from the floor for a few seconds.  There was music and laughter and German accented talking.  There was life in my family room.
I love that these two amazing people totally mess with my world.  I love that they live life with open arms.  I love that I find strange toothpaste in my bathroom, strange cars in my driveway, and strange music in my playlist.  This is my life and I love it.
Anything else would just seem...foreign.

No comments: