As he waited for the water to boil for his three hot dogs, he commented on how "cool" the water looked. I think his exact words were "That is the COOLEST boiling water EVER!"
I just kept folding laundry...unimpressed because he uses that sentence a lot. Substitute the words "boiling water" with "car" "hat" "shoe" "spider" "scar"...you get the idea.
But he didn't stop there.
"I wonder what would happen if I put food coloring in there?" he mused, more to himself than to me.
To which I replied, "Do it and find out. It won't hurt your food."
He broke into a broad grin and before you could say "experiment" he had my stash of food coloring out on the counter. After a short debate with himself he chose blue and....voila!
I have to admit it WAS pretty cool.
The water was blue. The hot dogs were not. Photo not available as I couldn't find a way to take a picture of a hot dog without it being obscene.
Parker has always been a bit of a scientist. This experiment reminded me of a similar one he performed 10 years ago when he boiled dandelions to see if the water would turn yellow. He is always taking things apart, observing minute details, asking questions. And I love it. I could be the know-it-all who answers all his questions...but I'm not that kind of mom. I would much rather watch him test things and find the answer for himself. Plus, (and I'm loathe to admit this) I really DON'T know it all. So if he's willing to do the work, I'm willing to give him the time and tools.
Who knows...he may grow up to be the COOLEST scientist EVER!
1 comment:
Another Albert Einstein, perhaps? Wasn't he dyslexic, also? MIMI
Post a Comment