Our Family

Our Family

Friday, September 9, 2011

In Tune

A chill in the air...a pep assembly...a boy in uniform...
It all adds up to one thing...
Marching Band season!!
With a little football sprinkled between songs, of course ;)
I spent my Friday night cheering for my favorite trumpet player.
I sat dangerously close to the roped-off "band only" section of the bleachers...like any good groupie. And if you think that embarrasses my boy you'd be wrong.
He's part ham.
From his father's side, of course!
They played the National Anthem, and then short bursts of song during every timeout and touchdown.  With a few minutes left in the first quarter, Parker leaned over to me and said, "Check the weather on your phone.  I want to know if it's gonna rain." I assured him it would be fine, but he continued, "No, I WANT it to rain...preferably before halftime!"
I guess he wasn't too confident in their halftime show.
The much loved band director Parker has had since junior high left at the end of last year and the new girl is ambitious.  
But it didn't rain.
And they sounded great!
Hillary had to work, so I sent her play-by-play texts on how it was going.  And I sat by the girl who Drum Majored with Hillary during her senior year and we commiserated Hillary's absence.  
All in all it was a great first night on the Field.
And then halftime is over...which means I get to go home!
Parker hugged me goodbye, took my last two dollars, and went to hang with the other SuperCool Band Geeks.  Hubby kissed me bye and headed off to work the "chain gang".  And as I drove home, it started to rain.  I laughed out loud and texted Parker.  He got his rain, just a little late.
Now as I sit with my popcorn and think about the four of us in different places, but still connected, I smile.  It's good to be in tune.

No comments: