There are so many things I could've blogged about lately.
Like Parker's last track meet or Hillary's new job.
Or what a fabulous Mother's Day I had...
But the thing that finally got me to sit down and write was a simple Wednesday night family dinner. Hubby and I got home from work and I started the beef and rice. It wasn't long until Hillary sauntered through the door and perched on a bar stool, talking about her day and smiling her smile. And then, another door-slam, a thunk of a gym bag hitting the floor, and Parker was there, asking what was cooking and adding music to the mix.
I cut up broccoli and melted cheese while they bantered about the details of this year's Senior Class Pranks as they folded towels on the table.
And then the meal was ready and we started filling plates. And Hubby said, "Weren't we supposed to have corn?" and we laughed because I had forgotten to cook it.
John Lennon sang and we all settled around the table. The kids laughed every time their dad tried unsuccessfully to "name that tune".
And then, yet another door-slam as Neighbor Boy joined our party.
They talked about the upcoming trip to State (track 4X100 team, on which Parker is an alternate), and Hillary reminisced about her own State Track Adventure. They talked about music and they talked about people they liked and some they didn't.
There was nothing special about this mid-week meal...the kind we used to have nightly and think nothing of. The kind that happens only rarely now as life moves each of us further away from each other and into that thing called The Future. And that's why everything was special about it. The laughter, the language, the sun shining in the windows. The music and good food. The relaxed openness that allows friends and neighbors to walk on in without ringing the doorbell. It was an hour of pure happiness.
Everyone will remember the Big Things...Mother's Day and State Competitions.
But I will remember the Small Things...a Wednesday night dinner around the table.
They are life's dessert.
1 comment:
"And she pondered these things in her heart" MOM
Post a Comment