I often hear people complain about the evils of technology. (When I say "people" I mean "old people" because I'm pretty sure I've never heard anyone under the age of 30 complain..) Anyway, "people" see teenagers sitting side by side in some public place, each with their fingers flying over smartphones, and lament the death of real, face-to-face interaction. The rise of video games, facebook, and texting gets blamed for everything from the failing education system to global warming.
But I'm kind of thankful for technology.
I have a quiet son. He can talk when he's in the mood. But he's usually not in the mood! If it weren't for texting, I would never know what he's thinking. Especially when it comes to emotional conversations. Face to face is too intense for him. If he's angry, or frustrated, or sad...we text about it. If I have to ask him uncomfortable "mom" questions...we text about it. And if he wants to convince me to let him do something...he texts me about it.
Just this weekend, we were at a celebration full of people. Both of my kids were there with us, mingling with people Hubby and I went to high school with. Hillary chatted and laughed and (of course) took lots of pictures. Parker sat quietly at the edges, face impassive, not giving away any clues about whether or not he was having a good time.
Then I checked his Instagram. He had posted several pictures with descriptive captions, detailing what a good time he was having and how cool his dad's old friends (basketball players) were. And I thought about how nice it was to have this window into his brain. Far from isolating us, this technology gives us a sort of secret connection.
When I check facebook or twitter and Hillary has posted some silly thing she's done or friend she's seen or food she's eaten, I feel like I'm there with her.
When I pull up Netflix and see tv shows that I know she just watched, it's like she's not far away.
And when my kids text me their thoughts, it's like our hearts and minds touch for a minute.
And it goes both ways. Each of them have said to me that they are glad I blog about them because it lets them see themselves through my eyes for a bit.
So I will embrace technology. (Even if my kids DO have to help me figure out how to use it ;)
Our heartstrings firmly connected as we go wireless-ly into the future.
1 comment:
I like texting, because I can hear it better. Ha!
Post a Comment