Field Day in First Grade had left me tired, stinky, and flat-haired. I stood in my kitchen, browning ground beef for supper, still in my ugly yellow School Shirt and shorts. (The next school I teach for will have to have colors I look good in. I mean, really...what white person do you know that really looks good in yellow??) I had just remarked to Hubby, "I'm so glad we don't have anywhere to go tonight."
Then Parker breezed through on his way to the garage.
"Gotta go up to the school for my Track Banquet. See ya later."
Track banquet..??? What!?
I froze him in his tracks with that Look I've perfected after 21 years of parenting.
"You have a Track Banquet?"
"Yes"
"Why didn't you tell me? Did you not WANT me and dad to come?"
He shrugged. "I figured you knew."
Of course...I should've used my ability to read people's minds. I should have checked the secret MomWire that posts all important activities. How silly of me...
I took a breath and calmly asked, "What time does it start?"
"6:00"
It was 5:31.
He went out the door and I flew to my lair to turn straw into gold.
A few minutes later Hubby came to find me. "You ready?"
snip..snip...
"You're cutting your hair?" he asked in disbelief. "Now?"
"Of course, now!" I replied. Because that's what I do when my hair doesn't work with me. I torture it with sharp instruments until it gives in and poofs a little.
He rolled his eyes and wisely walked away.
A few sprays of body spray, a swipe of deodorant, and a change of clothes later, we were in the car headed to the school.
And then I got a text from Parker.
"It doesn't start until 6:30."
Awesome. Just enough time to do NOTHING but too much time to go inside and sit and wait.
But that is why God gave me this child. He knew I would be the kind of woman who would petrify into her rock-solid routine and opt out of the world at large if given the chance. So He must have thought it would be funny to give me a son who would force me to face the unexpected and adjust at a moment's notice. The kind of child who tells me as I head to bed that he put the socks he HAS to have tomorrow on the washer. Or eats the entire pack of hotdogs I had planned to use for supper as his afternoon snack. A kid who brings home friends unannounced, puts off homework until the last minute, and forgets to tell me about sports awards banquets.
It turned out fine, as it always does. And I beamed with pride as I took pictures of him receiving awards for being All Conference, All District, qualifying for State, and being recognized for earning the most points for the boys team for the season.
I thank God for this boy who keeps his mama off track.
He rolled his eyes and wisely walked away.
A few sprays of body spray, a swipe of deodorant, and a change of clothes later, we were in the car headed to the school.
And then I got a text from Parker.
"It doesn't start until 6:30."
Awesome. Just enough time to do NOTHING but too much time to go inside and sit and wait.
But that is why God gave me this child. He knew I would be the kind of woman who would petrify into her rock-solid routine and opt out of the world at large if given the chance. So He must have thought it would be funny to give me a son who would force me to face the unexpected and adjust at a moment's notice. The kind of child who tells me as I head to bed that he put the socks he HAS to have tomorrow on the washer. Or eats the entire pack of hotdogs I had planned to use for supper as his afternoon snack. A kid who brings home friends unannounced, puts off homework until the last minute, and forgets to tell me about sports awards banquets.
It turned out fine, as it always does. And I beamed with pride as I took pictures of him receiving awards for being All Conference, All District, qualifying for State, and being recognized for earning the most points for the boys team for the season.
I thank God for this boy who keeps his mama off track.
No comments:
Post a Comment