Like yesterday when we were walking down a nature trail and he kept spitting. I looked over at him and said, "What IS it with boys and spitting??" And then my husband held one nostril shut and blew the other one out ON THE GROUND! I was aghast.
"I miss Hillary.." I muttered.
But then there are times when I see a glimmer of hope that I've somehow civilized him after all. Like last night, when he and his friends decided to have an impromptu camp-out. It started as a visit to his friend's campsite a few miles away. Neighbor Boy and his family took their RV out to celebrate the holiday weekend, so Parker and his Sidekick went out to sit around their campfire. Thirty minutes before curfew I got a text begging me to let them stay longer. They even got Neighbor Mom involved. She told me that they had met some other kids and were having fun and didn't want to leave. Not wanting them to drive home in the wee hours of the morning with the drunk drivers and deer I told them to just stay the night.
They jumped at the idea, but had to come home to get a few things.
They tromped in the door smelling like campfire and outdoors. I dug the sleeping bags out of the basement storage room and Sidekick tucked them under his arm. "Be sure to shake them out before you get in them," I said. "There might be spiders." He paled and gave a girl-like squeak. "I don't think I want to hold these anymore," he said. He held them at arms length by the elastic strap.
In the meantime, Prince Parker was gathering up essentials - clean underwear, his toothbrush, a phone charger, cologne...
The "kids" they had met must be of the pony-tail wearing, leg-shaving variety. Thank goodness Neighbor Mom and Dad would be out there to keep an eye.
He started up the stairs and then stopped and said, "Do sleeping bags have pillows in them?"
Hubby and I looked at each other.
"No."
"Well, then, I'm grabbing my pillow!" he said.
When they were safely out of range, Hubby and I had a good laugh!
This morning, Neighbor Mom texted me this pic of the Burrito Boys...
They made it through the night, but they look as disheveled as the poor princess who slept on the pea. Parker confessed to his dad that caterpillars kept falling on them all night out of the trees. They were probably attracted to all that cologne. Guess the boys didn't get much sleep! They may be rough and tough by day, but put them in sleeping bags in the woods for a night with caterpillars and a pea-sized spider and their Pampered Prince sides are revealed.
I must admit, these Princes royally rule my heart.


No comments:
Post a Comment