Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Tai chi and me

Hubby and I were snowed in for a week. Alone. 
In a blissfully quiet house.
After reading stacks of books, drinking gallons of coffee, and watching an entire discontinued tv series on Netflix, we decided we better relax and de-stress by learning the ancient martial art called Tai Chi. I pulled up a free video on youtube and master Pee Wee (name has been changed to protect the innocent) led us in a warm up.
Three days later, we had mastered the warm up and were ready for the first pose called Parting the Wild Horse's Mane. Can I just say, this stuff is harder than it looks... Master Pee Wee talked us through it sllooowly and showed us the steps several times. We had to keep rewinding and trying it again until i was afraid my imaginary horse was getting a bald spot. But perseverance pays off and we finally moved on to White Crane Separates Wings. In the beginning, mine looked more like Chicken With Head Cut Off, but with Pee Wee's patient coaching hubby and I were soon "moving like water." 
And then the kids came home.
Thinking they would be impressed at their parents new ninja skills, I said, "hey, wanna see some Tai Chi?"
We made it to the second warm up move before Hillary let a giggle escape and whipped out her phone.
"Put that away!" I commanded as I rotated my elbows in a big circle which caused my hands to slide across my chest in a way that made me look like I was doing a breast self-exam. 
"I won't post it" she promised. "I just wanna show ONE person."
The little techie wasn't fooling me. I may be old but I just read an article about how images posted online are out in the cloud forever.
"Put it away." 
"Ok, ok.." She said, lowering it and pretending the camera lens wasn't still pointed at me.
I considered showing her the Mother Wrap Fingers Around Daughter Skinny Neck pose, but I was taught never to use my powers for evil.
She finally went to take a shower and Hubby and I continued. 
It is very hard to clear your mind when you can hear guffaws coming from the closed bathroom door.
Breathe in. Step forward. Lift arms. Separate hands.
And I finished with my favorite pose... "Lady Relaxes Into Happy Weekend."


No comments: