"Mama..." he said sheepishly, flashing the dimples. "I need to ask a favor. Will you write a speech for me. For tomorrow?"
"Absolutely..." I replied without batting an eyelash. "NOT. But I will sit beside you while YOU write it."
So he settled in with his notebook and the list of speech types he had to choose from.
Toast
Eulogy
Award Acceptance Speech
Tribute
After I explained what each one was, he decided to write a Tribute speech about his dad.
Once I got him started, the paper filled up fast. He talked about how his dad never meets a stranger, how he is always willing to help push someone's car out of a snowy ditch or use his truck and his back to help someone move. He talked about how faithful he has been to his family, his friends, and his teams. He talked about how his manly size and large voice hide a teddy bear heart.
My own heart swelled with pride as I saw my hubby through his son's eyes.
The teacher had said these could be made-up speeches. So Parker could have chosen to tribute anyone from Superman to LeBron James. So it meant something to me that, while his friends were eulogizing each other's tragic accidents with tricycles and badgers, he chose to write seriously about our own SuperMan.
Wait...does that make me Lois Lane?
Either way, I am glad these guys let me be their sidekick.
No comments:
Post a Comment