Our Family

Our Family

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The Write Stuff

Recently, Parker introduced me to a movie on Netflix called "The Letter Writer".  It's about an old man in a retirement home who spends his days writing letters to people he doesn't even know, encouraging them and telling them good things about themselves.  He gets their names from the phone book.  One young recipient tracks him down, and a life-changing relationship is formed.
"This movie made me think of you," Parker said, "because you like to write to people."
And I do.
I have always loved words.  As a child, reading could take me to other worlds, and writing could help me say things I was too afraid to voice out loud.  But I never really understood the importance of written down words until recently.
My sister passed away in December.  We were very close.  The kind of close that made words unnecessary most of the time.  One look, one raised eyebrow, and we knew what the other was thinking.  When they stopped the cancer treatments and she and I sat alone in her hospital room, I said, "There are no 'last' words. You already know everything I would say." And we were comforted by the fact that there was no unfinished business to regret.
But after she had been gone for a while, I started to forget things I knew.
And then I came across a letter she had written me as a Christmas gift a few years ago.
She spelled out how much she loved me and told stories about our childhood I already knew.  She reminded me of how we always took care of each other and called me her sister and her friend.
And then she ended by saying, "I am certain that you know how much I love you, but just in case you need uplifting or reminding some day..."
And I do!  I need reminding!  As my counselor said, "I think it's providential that she wrote this down."
Words are powerful.  Words are the way we give something of ourselves to the people we love.
It's why I write this blog.
It's why I text people I love when my thoughts turn to them in the middle of an ordinary day.
It's why I started journals for each of my children when they were still in the womb.  I wanted to capture my thoughts and feelings about them.
A couple of nights ago Hubby was out of town and Parker and I went to dinner together.  We chatted over our Mexican food about school and relationships and music and life.  It was so much fun to spend time with this amazing young man.
When I got home I pulled out his journal so I could save this precious ordinary Thursday evening for him.  When I opened the dusty book, I realized the last entry was several years ago!  I started reading, and for a little while I got lost in first words, first days of school, first girlfriends...I realized that these words were as much for me as for my kids.
"..just in case you ever need reminding..."
And I do.  I need reminding that we laughed over something silly...that I worried over their friendships and relationships...that they said something that melted my heart...that I was happy, scared, proud, and (every now and then) wrong!
I can leave my children money, things, memories... but with my words I can leave them ME.  I can leave them insight into my heart and thoughts.  I can leave them snapshots of themselves through my eyes.
So I'm thankful God made me a letter-writer.  And I will resolve to keep it up.
Just in case you need uplifting or reminding someday...

2 comments:

Kathy Courtois said...

That was beautiful, Fonda!!! You do have such a way with words!!!! You are leaving great memories and precious treasures for your loved ones!!! I love you, dear friend!!!

Kathy Courtois said...

That was beautiful, Fonda! You have such a way with words. You are recalling precious memories that will be treasured by your loved ones I love you, dear friend!