Any woman who has tried to find a decent pair of jeans that don't cost more than your mortgage payment, knows what the Mall can do to your self-image. After trying on a dressing room full of failures, I was feeling fat. Actually I was feeling small-boobed, big footed, fat, and ugly. So what do you do when the jeans don't fit? You go to the make-up store of course! I can't shrink my booty in a day, but I can cover up my wrinkles with expensive stuff that smells good and comes in cute bottles.
And then you get your hair done.
And you know what makes it even more fun?
Taking your 18 year old son with you.
Parker was out of school for spring break and quickly agreed to ride along when I said I was going to the city that day. He had followed me into the make-up store, carried my bags, and then sat and waited while I got my hair cut and colored. I assumed he would wander off to browse in some "man" store like Lids or the sporting goods store. But he said, "Nah, I'll just wait here."
And he did.
Patiently.
And quietly.
For an hour and a half.
I must tell you that I was the envy of every woman working in that salon that day.
"Is that your son?"
"Yes," I smiled proudly. I was glad we got that out of the way immediately. Some people think I don't look "old enough" to have a son that age and I always worry that people will assume I'm some kind of Sugar Mama Cougar.
"He's so HANDSOME!" one lady crooned.
"And look at him just waiting on you. What a good son!"
"My kids are 16 and 20 and they don't wanna go NO where with me anymore." said the hispanic lady painting bleach on my hair with a brush.
"Umm hmmm" came the agreement all around.
I felt lucky. I AM lucky. Because my son is just like his dad - thoughtful, patient, and helpful.
We left the salon and went to Radio Shack, where it was my turn to wait patiently as Parker browsed through electronic parts and pieces for fun. And then we hit the outlet mall where I joked that his purchases from the Adidas store were payment for his good behavior in the salon. We even caught a movie on the way home. It was a fun day.
I know that someday he will have another woman to follow into makeup stores and beauty salons. And I will be happy for him when that happens. (and hopefully SHE will be happy too because I trained him well!) But for now, I'll toss my newly coiffed hair and enjoy the company of this boy who is "hair today"...
No comments:
Post a Comment