One of my children has been all about their hair lately. You might guess it's my teenage girl. You would be wrong. Yet another thing no parenting book ever warned me about...11 year old boys can suddenly be very picky about how they look. This summer, Parker decided he wanted to let his hair grow out some. Fine by me. I think he was going for the messy, skateboard/surfer look. He has thick hair with natural waves and as it grew it formed adorable curls around his face and neck. What a cutie!
Right before school started I suggested we trim it (to keep it at that nice cute stage) but Parker refused. He wanted it to get "really long." It started to look less cute and more shaggy and unkempt. It started to bush out. Being the kind of parent I am, I bit my tongue and let him have his individuality. But by school picture day I just couldn't let it go anymore. I trimmed it. Not a lot, just enough (according to me). Parker didn't throw a fit, but he didn't seem happy either. All the next day I felt guilty. What kind of educated, progressive mother cuts her kid's hair against his will just so he'll look a certain way in his school picture? (I know...almost every mom reading this blog!) Anyway, picture day came and went and less than a week later Parker had his first basketball practice. He walked in the door after practice, red-faced and sweaty, and the first words out of his mouth were, "I'm cutting my hair!" I was taken aback. But of course, I didn't show it. I casually asked why. "Because you lose 70% of your body heat through your head and all this hair is keeping my heat in. It's too hot for basketball," he informed me. Guy rule #11...looking good is fine until it interferes with your sport!
No comments:
Post a Comment