Parker is going deer hunting this weekend, and he is SO excited. We bought new insulated boots, and pocket handwarmers, to go with his camo pants and jacket. We were talking about his trip last night and he said, "I can't wait til this weekend." I assumed he was looking forward to the actual hunt, but then he went on..."I get to see one of my...heroes." He was talking about my brother.
My husband is a big sports guy (basketball, football, etc). He likes hunting in theory, but never seems to get around to actually going. So my dad is coming up on Friday to get Parker and they will continue on to my brother's house where not only will they go on a manly deer hunt, but the next morning they plan to duck hunt, too. Austin is as into hunting as my husband is into basketball.
Parker has always looked up to my brother. In his mid-twenties, Austin is halfway between Parker and myself. So he's always been prone to "cool" stuff that little boys adore and moms fear. Parker's first weapon was a Christmas gift from his uncle. I almost had a heart attack, but neither of them seemed to think a bow and arrow was an unusual gift for a small boy.
It's all about perspective. When I look at Austin, I see my little brother...pesky, adventurous, determined. When my son looks at him, he sees a man...strong, smart, rugged, and someone to be looked up to. I'm glad. I love that Parker has so many different men in his life that he can look up to. He idolizes his dad...his sports hero. He looks up to his grandpas...both deeply spiritual, smart, and affectionate men. He brags about his other uncle, who is serving our country in the Navy. These men are part of who Parker is, and who I want him to become. Each of them shows Parker a different, but good part of being a man. They take an interest in him...call him..email him...and spend time with him. And he learns courage, leadership, strength, tenderness, and determination. So, yeah...these men are Parker's heroes...and mine too.
1 comment:
I'm so glad and thankful Parker has this many living heroes. I know many boys who are destitute for this kind of men. sandy
Post a Comment