Our Family

Our Family

Thursday, November 15, 2007

High fashion in lowly places

Hillary has her own sense of style. She's eclectic. She's funky. She's creative. She does things like...wear her dad's ties to school, put a short dress over jeans, pair converse tennis shoes with something unexpected...and jewelry is no-holds-barred. So I'm flattered that she is constantly trolling my closet for things to wear. My style is more...conservative. Some may even say...boring. So I'm always surprised when she manages to make a complete outfit out of pieces of my stuff that I would never think to link. This happened just last night when she wore a skirt of mine with a red sweater and my brown heels to church. Of course, this putting together of outfits comes with many try-ons and discards, til my room looks like a teenagers with clothes draped over lamp shades and every other available surface. Finally she said, "Now I just need some jewelry." To which I said, "Good luck." She dug around for a few minutes and pulled out a long string of reddish beads that I bought for one holiday outfit and have never really worn with anything else. Voila! Magic. It was a perfect, sophisticated, but somehow youthful look.
The benefits of having a daughter my size is that I can root in her closet occasionally. Today was Royal Reader day at my school, and I was at a loss as to what to wear. It's too cold for a dress, but nothing else I have is very "royal" looking. In Hillary's closet I found a long, velvet, ruffled skirt and a sparkly blue shirt. Which I paired with UnderArmor pants and a pair of Parker's black ankle socks. For me, keeping warm trumps looking regal every time! But what a blessing...who else but an athlete with an artistic bent would have UnderArmor pants AND silver sequined shoes in her closet. I'm a lucky mom!

2 comments:

Ang said...

I am so glad you stopped by tonight. It was great to catch up. See ya tomorrow at the game. I will be looking to see if you are brave enough to wear YOUR school stuff to OUR school b-ball game. See ya soon. By the way, I love your daughter's look, it is very funky and cool. I wish I could pull that off.

Sandy said...

One thing I never had to worry about: my girls wanting to use my clothes!Ha! sandy