Our Family

Our Family

Monday, December 10, 2007

Leaving the Legos

Lately I've had the feeling that my house has it out for me. Laundry multiplies in the hampers, dishes grow from the sink...no matter how many times I straighten things up, it is somehow undone again. It's kind of like a horror movie where the person thinks they've gotten rid of the dead body, only to turn around and see it right back where it was.
When I was a new wife and young mother, I thought the cleanliness of my house was a symbol of my worth. I cleaned everything thoroughly every Saturday, whether it needed it or not. Of course, it didn't take long to clean 4 tiny rooms. And I was often lonely in those days and looking for something purposeful to occupy me. I was that person who regularly cleaned out closets and drawers, kept the water spots off my faucets, and never let mildew grow in my shower. I remember one time, though, when Hillary was little, and I went to pick up a Barbie from the bathroom counter for the hundreth time that day. Suddenly, the thought occured to me that someday there would be no more Barbies to put away. So I put her gently back down and there she lay for a day or two...a quiet reminder to me to enjoy my child while I could. There are no Barbies in our house now. They have been replaced by makeup, Algebra books, band instruments, and car keys.
My house, like my children, has also grown. With the blessing of a large house comes the burden of keeping it clean, and it takes a full day of hard work to make it shine. I manage to hold the worst of it at bay, most days. But last night, as I came into the kitchen to face dirty dishes and a sticky floor, I was met with a counter full of legos. I sighed. Then I thought about Barbie. Soon enough Parker will be leaving those legos for more manly things...so for now, I'm leaving them too...right where they belong.

2 comments:

Ang said...

Love this post, however, does that mean I can leave the McDonald's toys, purses, play jewelry, puzzles, and tents all in my livingroom all the time? You member you said that next time you come over.

Ang said...

I am so happy that we got to come over the other night. I am also happy my kids could leave not only leggos but cookies decorations all over you kitchen for you to remember what it is like to have little ones. :-)