My car was in the shop yesterday (in the town where I teach - 12 miles away). I tried to catch a ride with another teacher, but it didn't work out. So my sweet husband agreed to get up extra early, take me to school, and come back to get the kids and himself to their school. I got up early, showered, dressed, packed my lunch, and made coffee. To save time, I decided to take my make-up with me and put it on when I got to school.
We took the back roads (my husband always does this...I don't know why, when the interstate is faster...anyway). It was just getting light and we talked as we rolled along. It was kind of peaceful and I joked him that I could get used to this.
A mile from my school, I realized that my make-up bag was not with me. The peace was gone. I was in panic mode. Of course, Mr. Laid-Back didn't understand what there was to worry about. It was too late to go back, so I told him to take me to the only place in this small town that might carry make-up and be open at 6:55 am...the grocery store. He rolled his eyes, but pulled into the parking lot.
I paid an exorbitant price for the two pieces of cosmetics they had in the store...some foundation and some midnight blue eyeliner...and hopped back in the truck. Yancey grumbled that he wouldn't have time to pack his lunch now, but he kissed me goodbye and delivered me right to my classroom door.
I made do with the make-up I had, caught up on some grading, and started to unload my ubiquitous bag....and there it was in the bottom of the bag....my make-up! I guess I had put it in there earlier so I wouldn't forget it.
When I got home that evening, I couldn't help but tell on myself. And did he get mad? No, he just rolled his eyes and smiled.
My husband's easy-going nature can drive me crazy when he's sitting on the couch watching TV while the room falls apart around him, or when he invites people over without telling me, or when he's cruising down the back roads instead of taking the fast way. But, I have to admit, it's pretty great when it's saving my face!
2 comments:
Men just DO NOT understand the importance AND necessity of our make-up! I wonder what women use to do w/o make up. WITHOUT!!! Fonda, you have a great hubby. I think he's a keeper!! Good story
Love ya
Brenda
I will not comment on this blog entry, as funny as it may be. I am still waiting on my sympothy post where I might be mentioned once on you blog for you to let the whole world know that we are friends, and I am not just some crazy random person who leaves you comments.
So this is me NOT commenting in your comment section.
Post a Comment