Remember when your kids were babies and they seemed to have an "interrupt parental love-making" setting. It always went off just as things were getting serious in your bedroom - WAAAAAHH! It continues into toddlerhood where, hypothetically, your daughter might walk into the bedroom unnoticed and say in an irritated voice, "Get off my mama!" (Thank God children rarely remember things that happened before 3 years of age.) Or even into late elementary school when your son, also hypothetically, could burst into your room in the middle of the night, causing your quick-thinking husband to throw you off the side of the bed and cover your head with blankets, and say, "Dad, I thought I heard a noise." (On an interesting side note, he never even asked, "By the way, where's mom?") I know what you're thinking, and yes, we DO have locks, which we usually remember to use. Anyway...
I've noticed that MY children have developed their extra sense beyond just keeping their parents apart physically. It also applies to everyday things, like food. All I have to do is think to myself, "I think I'll go get a Coke," when suddenly my daughter appears out of no where and says, "Can I have a drink of that?" And if I am silly enough to plan on wearing a specific thing the next day, there she'll be in my closet...choosing said apparel. If I decide to take it easy and laze on the couch with my favorite re-runs, my son mysteriously gets tired of blowing up paper airplanes with fireworks and grabs the remote as soon as I start toward it. Even tonight, as I started down the stairs, Hillary said, "Mom, are you getting on the computer?" "Of course not, dear. I was just going to go down there and iron some socks. Why?" "Because I need to type my report." You know what...sometimes I just have to draw the line.
The only explanation I can come up with for these "coincidences" is that my mind is somehow too easily susceptible to their telepathy. Perhaps sharing my body for nine months gave them some psychic connection to me. Too bad it doesn't work the other way around. I thought about wearing a metal bowl on my head, but then they'd know I was on to them. So I will just try to be extremely impulsive from now on...only thinking about things in the half-second before I do them. You know, kind of like their dad does.
2 comments:
hey fonda i just wanted to say how thankful i am to have a sister-in-law like you. it is hard sometimes to be away like i am and i am missing so much out of parker and hillarys life i know that things sure are different from whenever i was staying with all of you in cape the web page that you created has allowed me to kinda keep up with what is going on and it is good to see pictures especially with the kids growing up as fast as they are but i wont make this to long just keep the storys coming with all of my love to all of you -Chance-
Try this-
Think of doing the dishes, laundry, or washing the car. Or think of giving a good foot or neck massage. If that doesn't work, go ahead and try the bowl.
Love,
Beth
Post a Comment