This was a hard morning.
After a weekend of being with family and indulging my addiction for hugs, laughter, and good conversation (not to mention FOOD!) getting up for work was like fighting through a hang-over.
And I guess I wasn't the only one who didn't want to see the school week start.
Parker got up grudgingly...ate quietly...and stewed angrily when he couldn't find the EXACT sweatshirt he wanted. Understanding how he felt, I tried to help. I spoke softly and soothingly, searched til I found the desired shirt, and finally just sat on his bed and hugged him for a minute. When his tears dripped onto my pants, I turned him around, held him like a baby and rocked him back and forth. Of course, the top half of his body was all I could hold, and his arms draped around me and hung down onto the bed. But neither of us seemed to mind. How could I comfort my son, when I felt like crawling under the covers myself. So I started to pray. There was nothing else to do. I asked God to protect us at school...to give us peace and joy...all the usual things I could think of. Then, in an effort to make Parker smile, I tried to get silly. "And God, just let this be an AWESOME day for Parker. Let them have something really GREAT for lunch...and CHOCOLATE CAKE..."
I was rewarded with a small, wet smile.
And the day went on.
We both survived school and met up later at the hair salon where we were both getting cuts. Since he just arrived from cross country practice and the stylist was busy, I got the special treat of washing his hair in the fancy bowl with the sprayer thing. (I know, he's a brave and tolerant kid.) I used the good-smelling shampoo and threw in a little head massage at the end, just like a pro. As I was toweling him off, and asking about his day, he said, "and guess what, Mom...we had cake at lunch!"
Chocolate cake with chocolate icing.
And God said, "I love you."
Because though life may seem overwhelming to us...to Him it's a piece of cake.
4 comments:
I prayed for Parker off & on all day yesterday-my hangover day came this morning after we walked and got back home and I started crying telling Paul I was taking a sick day-he held me and prayed and encouraged me to just get ready and go... and guess what God had a piece of cake waiting on me when I got to school, God is so good to all of us-for some reason this is how we are suppose to live (with all these miles between us)I think it makes us appreciate the small things and times He allows us to have. I love you all-
Sheila
OK, totally crying right now, i so could of used a piece of chocolate cake yesterday, today and probably tomorrow!! When are we getting together?
I feel you on this one. My hangover day was Tuesday, not a good day at all for me either. It was one thing after another. I have a head cold/allergies, my body was exhausted from the weekend and driving and to top it off the apartment people called and we didn't have an apartment anymore. My mom prayed for Chance and I and for God to provide, and He did!! They called yesterday and we are getting a bigger apartment at the same rate as the other one, praise Jesus! Satan was out to get us all this week but God pulled us through! Love you guys!
Abby
Well, MY hangover came on the way back from Arkansas. I guess there's just a certain amount of depressing things we have to deal with in life. But after my emotional hangover, I had to make my own cake, and I don't even like cake! I'd rather have a steak any day. MOM
Post a Comment