We all know that kids can be cruel. But some ages seem crueler than others. Junior high comes to mind. When I worked with 3 year olds, the harshest thing they could ever think of to say was, "You're not coming to my BIRTHDAY!" And while my first-graders can sometimes call each other names, or refuse to play with someone for a whole recess, they are generally pretty open and loving.
This morning, Annie came in late. She had been absent yesterday, and one side of her face was swollen and pink. Her cheek bulged and her eye squinted. Mom pulled me aside and said she had suffered from an abscessed tooth and was better today, but Mom was worried that the other kids would make fun of the way she looked. I told her I'd take care of it. Far from being mean, however, most of the kids showed great concern for her and joy that she was back. Then one boy said, "Oh my gosh...what is that -" I opened my mouth to cut him off before he could say 'on your face' when he finished "around your neck!?!"
What?
"Oh, that's my lip gloss." Annie happily replied, taking the lid off of it to show him the fat pink cylinder.
"Wow!" was all he could say.
Only a first grader could be wowed by a lipstick necklace when it was being worn by a girl with half a face.
Then, this afternoon, I was waiting in the car pick-up line with a couple of boys when a little kindergarten girl came tooling down the sidewalk in her motorized wheel-chair. She was laughing because her mom couldn't keep up with her. She whizzed past us, slowed down, and turned onto the wheelchair ramp. She confidently maneuvered to the unfolded ramp of the van and buzzed up into place. Her mom folded the ramp up and shoved it inside, then slammed the door.
And one first-grader said to the other, "Awesome!"
At what other age could we respond with awe and wonder rather than fear or pity?
So, that's that...I'm never leaving first grade!
No comments:
Post a Comment