Our Family

Our Family

Monday, November 3, 2008

What's the Rush?

After a good Sunday morning service, a great lunch with friends, and coffee and chocolate chip cookies, Hillary and I sat down at the computer so she could show me the latest pictures she'd found of potential prom dress patterns. I asked her if she'd mind if I checked my email really quick. Of course she didn't. So I clicked and entered passwords and clicked again...and waited...and jiggled my leg...and tapped my fingers...and shook the mouse around.
Hillary looked at me and said, "Where are you going?"
"Nowhere, why?"
"Well, what's the rush?"
And she is so right. I tend to be the kind of person who reads while she watches tv, does a crossword puzzle while she cooks, and makes the grocery list during church services. Why? I don't know. I just do it without thinking. I constantly feel as though if I'm not going so fast I can't breathe then I must be forgetting to do something. Something really important that I'll be sorry for later. But regardless of my breathless vigilance, we occasionally run out of toilet paper or pay a bill late. And the world doesn't end.
Thank goodness I have children to remind me of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so right... I think we need to learn to slow down and enjoy life. I have learned that the dirt will still be there and the laundry will wait. Life is more about interaction than about things. I love reading your blog. It makes me laugh cry and think... not a bad thing huh?
Teresa