Our Family

Our Family

Monday, August 17, 2009

The Best Medicine

So all the stars aligned and I was able to leave work 15 min early, get gas, grab Parker, and make it into the city through a torrential downpour without having a wreck, to get my son to the pediatrician on time (or close enough). I was pretty tightly wound by the time I wrestled my fairly useless umbrella out of the car and into the doctor's office. Parker, on the other hand, took time to calmly stand in the rain and hold the door for a sweet older lady, who was absolutely charmed by his manners.
As I dripped in the elevator, he said with a smile, "I can't wait!"
"For what?" I wanted to know.
"They always check my height!"
Oh yeah. And he has grown considerably. Exciting.
We checked in, waited what felt like too long, and finally followed the nurse into the pre-see-the-doctor-room. She weighed Parker, asked a few questions and then instructed us to follow her. I saw the disappointment in his face so I said, "Ummm. Could you measure him?"
She was happy to oblige. And he was happy to find that he is 5 ft 6 inches. Up about 5 inches from last time.
We were finally seen, treated, and charged, then it was on to A&W where Parker had a #4 with an extra chili cheese coney dog on the side and a large root beer to my kiddie cheeseburger. Next stop...Target to search for a binder. They had my brand of hairspray, some much needed LARGE bandaids, and a candy bar...but no suitable binder. But never fear, Office Max saved the day. Only the parent of a disorganized dyslexic can understand the importance of a binder with built-in file folders and a zipper that goes all the way around. And yes, I paid $2 extra for insurance on it. Since his last two cell phones are sleeping with the fishes, I figured, why not? Any son who patiently stands in the front of every store waiting for his mother to delicately dry her exposed toes with a tissue so she won't squish when she walks...and isn't even embarrassed by it deserves a little extra, right?
$83 worth of medicine later (and yes, that was AFTER the insurance was applied) it was time to head home.
By the time we drove home, the storm was over...and the sun glowed through the scattered clouds spilling gold on the wet world.
I was feeling considerably better about things.
But I always do when I spend time with my extraordinary young man.
No matter what ails me, he always seems to be the best medicine!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just reading your blog is good medicine for me. I'm so glad that you realize the worth of your children in specific terms. They are wonderful, just like their mom and dad. MIMI