Our Family

Our Family

Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Stack of Memories

As we stood in church this morning singing, "Jesus, Hold My Hand" I had a sudden flashback. A sweet memory. So I leaned over to Parker and whispered, "Wanna know the memory I have of this song?" Since I was not wearing heels, he had to lean down so my mouth could reach his ear. And I told him about the time Loretta Cole and I sang this song as a special when I was 10. We practiced singing "parts" until we thought we sounded pretty good. But the thing I remember most was that we stood behind the podium. And I couldn't see over it. So we stacked a few hymnals on the floor and I stood on them.
Parker smiled and said, "You wanna know the memory I'll have of this song? That when my mother whispered her memory to me, I had to bend down to hear her."
And I couldn't help but picture our memories being stacked on top of each other like songbooks for the next generation to stand on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My memory under that stack is, that we sang that song in the little country church I grew up in. And all the parts were supplied by that congregation. It sounded great then, and when you and Loretta sang it, and I'm sure when your congregation sang it. And Jesus is still holding our hands, isn't he? Wow, what a Saviour! Hey, that's another good song to stack up on!