Our Family

Our Family

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Big Day

The Big Day was finally here.  Tests had been passed...senior pranks pulled...tearful farewells exchanged in the halls.  Announcements were sent...cards of congratulations stuffed our mailbox...and family arrived from out of town.  And now it was time to celebrate.
I sat in the stuffy gym, waiting for Pomp and Circumstance, and wondered if I would cry.
So far so good.
We had spent the day getting our toes painted and searching for silly string.  And for a moment or two it had been like old times...our little girl in the back seat chattering away about anything and everything...Daddy firmly at the wheel...Mom riding shotgun and listening with a smile.  
The band started to play.  And instead of feeling sad or nostalgic, I felt joy flutter in my ribs. And I got my camera ready...  


She marched in with a smile and took her place with her classmates.  

And every time I raised my camera to my eye, as though she had a sixth sense, she turned and gave me a big Cheeser!  No tears for her, only barely contained excitement!



She nearly ran onto the stage ...
and into the arms of her Daddy (the guest speaker of the evening)... 
 before gliding on to receive her diploma.
We made it through the speeches and songs and the slideshow of baby pictures and then Hillary gave the ending prayer.  Instead of closing my eyes, I had to snap one more picture...

And then...


and

How could I cry when there was so much joy in this night?  Bursting with pride? Yes.  Smiling so big my cheeks hurt?  Absolutely.  Laughing at the antics of these beautiful young people?  For sure.
But crying?
Not for a moment! 
Because I know who she is under that cap and gown...a girl with personality who will glitter even as she stands in the line of life along with Cowboy Boots and Sensible Shoes.  
A girl who is smart and strong and creative and fun.
A girl who is not leaving a hole in my life, but expanding the reach of my vicarious experience beyond what I could ever have done without her.  
So we CELEBRATE this day.  And while it is a big one, it is not THE big one.  Because there will be so many more to come.  

"We won't say our goodbyes you know it's better that way
We won't break, we won't die
It's just a moment of change
"
~OneRepublic

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well i might not have cried at graduation, but i just bawled over your blog :)(you dont know this yet because you're sleeping and i'm staying up late watching glee on hulu) you are such an amazing mom!i'm so glad you're here to guide me. i love you sooooooo much!

Felicia said...

Hillary and Fonda,
You two are amazing! I really admire your relationship. Fonda you are an amazing person, mother and teacher. I am so glad God has placed you in my life. You have soooo many things to offer. Hillary, I hear you are pretty amazing too! May God continue to bless you each and every day, as you continue to bless all those around you!