Our Family

Our Family

Monday, May 31, 2010

A Little Sunshine...A Little Rain

It's a holiday.  And I am all alone.
Parker was off being pampered at his grandparents' house.  My husband went to visit.  And though Hillary and I thought we had a date with a friend of her's who had moved away...it was not to be.  So Hillary went to see her boyfriend.
And left me all alone.
Crazy woman tried to whisper in my ear...but there was NO feeling sorry for myself today.  I had chosen this solitude. I could have joined any one of my family members and they would have been happy to have me.  But I didn't and now I had a day all to myself.  I would make it a gift.
So I watched a sappy, happy movie and cried whenever I felt like it.
And I ate leftover chicken chili.
And it was only 2:00.
I decided to fill my forlorn flower pots.  And while I can easily justify spending money on coffee, pottery barn picture frames, or a new dress...I can't bear the thought of using bill paying money on flowers!  Undaunted I took my half-full change jar to the nearest Coinstar machine.  As the coins dinged into place and the total tipped up and up, I almost laughed out loud.  This was fun!
I took my new cash and walked up and down the aisles of the home improvement store willy nilly grabbing the colors that jumped out at me...not caring if the little tag said "full sun" or "shade"...and not letting my left brain convince me that the blooms should be carefully coordinated to make an artful container garden.
And I still had $13 left!
I picked up a mocha...
and headed straight for the bookstore.
Finally back home, I divided the flowers into various pots, getting my hands dirty and using a kitchen spoon as a spade.
And just then thunder rumbled in the distance and a cool breeze began to blow.
I put things away, then gathered up my stationary and the cd of favorite songs Hillary had made me off itunes, and headed to the porch swing to enjoy the rain on the tin roof.  I wrote to my beautiful friends on pretty paper with heartfelt handwriting.
And the rain fell gently.
And suddenly...I was not alone!
God surrounded me in the music and the rain and the thoughts of friends.
I was Happy!
And I had to grab my camera to preserve this moment.















Because life is about Sunshine.  And life is about Rain.  And sometimes, Both.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful day, beautiful picture, beautiful woman, daughter of God. He was with you in the flower shop, too. Send me a picture of your 'container garden'over the phone, if you want. I want to see the flowers ya'll picked out. MOM